When it comes to pet animals, poisoning is not a clear cut subject. It is not always the case of malicious poisoning so it is always good to know the signs to look out for and what is good to have at home to help in such cases. Most of the poisoning cases are actual poisons ingested but some can be common foods that are safe for humans but toxic to pets.
It is also helpful to know what type of poison or substance you are dealing with for you to know what to do next.
The common care in suspect poisoning cases is to induce vomiting and give milk and to then seek vet assistance. But this is not always the case.
Key points to look out for:
|Common signs of poisoning|
|Weakness – he may even collapse
Muscle tremors, which look like worms crawling under the skin
Tiny, pinpoint-sized pupils
|If your pet ingested:
Acidic Solutions such as bleach
Alkaline solutions such as drain cleaner
|DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING|
|If your pet ingested either of the above:|
|Acidic: Give two tablespoon of milk of magnesia||Alkaline: Mix 3 tablespoons of water and 3 tablespoons lemon or vinegar and give to dilute the alkalinity|
|Other types of toxic substances:||What can you do:|
|Chocolate toxicity||Serious depending on the amount ingested
– induce vomiting
– give activated charcoal
|Tick and flea treatment once applied to a weak animal or at a higher dose||Wash the animal with plain water (or dishwashing liquid) carefully remove the product as it will continue to be absorbed through the skin|
|Grape/ raisin toxicity||Induce vomiting by salt?|
For any questions please call the SSPCA Vet on 2629488.
Common poisons in Seychelles are the pest baits – these cases Induce vomiting by giving a handful of table salt.
Follow this advice if you suspect your pet has been poisoned:
- DON’T give a bowl of salt- your dog is then at risk of salt toxicity you can use a small amount of salt. The aim of the salt is to trigger an irritation in the throat that triggers the vomiting reflex. However, lately pet owners have been giving 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. (PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IS 3 % OTHERWISE IT MIGHT ALSO PROVE TOXIC TO THE ANIMAL
- Rule of thumb- vomiting should not be induced if more than 3 hours have passed after ingestion. Best done within 2 hours. After vomiting and you are satisfied what was ingested came up. You can give some activated charcoal. Some pets may recover if all ingested toxic substances came up. But if they still show signs and will not drink please seek veterinary.
- DO NOT GOOGLE HOME REMEDIES AND ADMINISTER THEM TO YOUR PET.
SSPCA recommends you always err on the side of caution and call the SSPCA Vet on 2604291 if you suspect your animal has been poisoned. Alternatively, you can call the SSPCA Welfare Officer on 2629488.
[Information provided by Dr Maria Tirant and Dr Christelle Dailoo]